Monday, September 14, 2009

Why I earned the title pharmacist extraordinaire

I finally earned the title! Saturday I was responsible for verification of about 500 scripts, 5 techinicians (making sure they had lunch, breaks, doing their duties (haha), etc), and administered 30 flu vaccines all while filling most prescriptions within 15 minutes. I can proudly say that all 30 patients who recieved vaccines were wildly entertained with my humorous and anecedotal quips and left with a smile on their face and protection against the upcoming flu season. I worked my ass off. Most importantly my technicians worked their asses off to keep a lot of stress and pressure off me. I had a great day in the pharmacy. I smiled. I laughed. We had fun, but got our work done. A day that make me glad that i went to pharmacy school and that I chose this career. Sunday was more of the same....22 shots 400+ scripts, but no stress. Sometimes in all the chaos that surronds pharmacy we take certain things for granted. This weekend reminded me exactly why I wanted to be a pharmacist. Most importantly, I learned how to run a pharmacy. Learned to take the literal bull by its horns. I learned that I just cant expect people to do what I want them to do, and that sometimes I need to tell them what I need. I explained what I needed from my techs and they performed up to my expectations. For that I am thankful. Technicians, specifically the techs at my store, are valuable. Dont forget how important they are for our day to day operations.

I am cynical. Sometimes I think the pharmacy world is crashing down around me. Sometimes I think I would rather do something else. Sometimes I hate being a pharmacist. Sometimes I think that everyone is out to make my day miserable. But this weekend was great. I received a very nice phone call from a lady who was thankful for us helping her. One phone call added to my great weekend. So often we only get negative feedback. But one thankful phone call from a grateful patient can make it all worthwhile. Thank you! I loved being a pharmacist this weekend!

Enough of the sentimental stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't is amazing how one person who says you did a great job can make it all worthwhile? I have had one of those this weekend. I'll be sad to see he and his wife leave.

    ReplyDelete